Thursday, March 23, 2017

MMA chats with Lattimer and Akers, Haro gets new boxing date

In this week's Utah Fight Game blog we chat with professional MMA fighters Kerry Lattimer and Rowdy Akers, which is appropriate since we interviewed their opponents at the SteelFist card April 15 in Salt Lake City, Jordan Chandler and AJ Garcia, last week.

First, popular Utah super featherweight boxer Jose Haro will not be fighting in SLC on April 1. Instead, he's accepted a bout April 28 in Tijuana, Mexico, which is just south of San Diego, Calif. An opponent is still to be named. Undefeated Utah boxing prospects Ignacio Chairez and Larry Gomez are still slated to fight April 1 in SLC if opponents are signed.

So, here's an interview with 145-pounder Kerry Lattimer, of Pocatello, Idaho, who I recall seeing triumph in one of the best SteelFist fights I have seen, a few years ago, when he rallied to defeat Thiago Alvez.

Me: What motivates you in MMA, what keeps you enthusiastic despite the grind of training. What about this fight is most important?

Lattimer: All fights are important to me because I truly enjoy the experience! Win or lose, I just want to have an action-packed bout that the fans will enjoy! To have such a bout, intense training is necessary! So definitely worth it! (Lattimer seen below)



Me: What's your fight style? What do you think is your opponent's strength and how will you neutralize that? 

Lattimer: I believe I'm an aggressive fighter, yet fun and entertaining. Jordan is skilled in all departments, and is a veteran of the game. To overcome his strengths, I am going to have to train hard in all categories of MMA! Cardio, I believe, is what is most important!

Me: What is your training like? Who is coaching you and training with you?

Lattimer: I work 50-80 hour weeks, plus have kids in sports, as well as HVac (heating ventilation and air conditioning) school! So my training is usually from 7-10 at least twice a week during the weekdays and I train both Saturday and Sunday! I currently am training BJJ at The Elite BJJ Academy, instructed by BJJ Blackbelt Mark Massey. I also train at The Mandrill Combat and Fitness Academy, instructed by BJJ Blackbelt Bill Gathrite, BJJ Brownbelt Joel Bocanegra, and Boxing coach Jan Muhle. We train stand up, and ground game. I spar with whoever, whenever I can!


Me: How has being an MMA fighter improved you and your life? What's next if you win this bout?

Lattimer: MMA has taught me that if you put enough effort into anything, that anything is possible! It is a really humbling sport! Nobody is the best forever, and everyone can be beat! The harder you work, the greater the reward! I never know what's next with fighting! I fight who I'm offered to fight. If I win, cool! If I lose, cool! As long as it's a badass fight, I'm satisfied!

--

And here's our interview with Rowdy Akers, another 145 pounder readying for his April 15 bout. 


Me: What motivates you in MMA, what keeps you enthusiastic despite the grind of training. What about this fight is most important?

Akers: Me and AJ went to battle before and went all three rounds. I feel if there was another round in that fight I would have taken it. I'd really like to prove myself to everybody and change the outcome of something. I love training and I love mixed martial arts. It helps me walk the straight and narrow; it helps me be a father to my son; it helps me be your friend and a teammate. (Akers seen below)



Me: What's your fight style? What do you think is your opponent's strength and how will you neutralize that? 

Akers: Although I train jiu-jitsu and stand up hands and feet every day I would say pressure. My cardio is way good and I plan to push the pace of this whole fight. What is the key strength of my opponent? He's going to try to take me down; he's going to try to use it to take me down and control me. I want to stuff the take down and deal out punishment. I'm welcoming him to professional MMA, (which is) fighting a little bit different than the amateurs.

Me: What is your training like? Who is coaching you and training with you?

Akers: It usually consists of running three to five miles or more if I'm feeling energetic. I strength train and lift weights I train at One-Hit MMA daily striking and wrestling jiu-jitsu. My coaches are Aldo and Bruno. (Teammates include) LJ Schultz Jordan Chandler Crystal and Jordan Smith and all of my team in One Hit MMA. Whomever shows up we spar a couple days a week and we really push the pace getting close to fight time.

Me: How has being an MMA fighter improved you and your life? What's next if you win this bout?

AkersMMA has improved my life. It's helped me want to stay sober, it's helped me want to stay out of b******* situations. It just gives me direction and drive to be better every day. If I win this fight or if I lose this fight my next goal is just to take the next fight. SteelFist has its 50th show in June there's King of the Cage in June and a few other promotion that I'd like to get involved with. My next goal is just to continue to better myself as a mixed martial artist and a friend a father and a teammate to everybody at One Hit MMA.

We wish Kerry and Rowdy the best and appreciate both for talking with Utah Fight Game blog. We are still hoping to complete interviews with MMA pros Jon Neal and Skyler Frazier, who are headlining the April 15 SteelFist Card. In the weeks ahead, we will have interviews with MMA fighters competing in South Valley Slam in Hurricane in May. We may have an interview or two with FitCon participants next month.

ONE MORE THING: Dave Foley of Foley's gym says he'll have some amateurs competing April 8 at Legends in Sandy. Here's a list of Foley's fighters: Alex Treadway, heavyweight; Eduardo Arreguin, 138 pounds; Lizber Herrara, 147 pounds; England Patu-Pauulu, heavyweight; Macy White, 125 pounds; Andy Gold, 175 pounds; and Luis Cornejo, 135 pounds. Patu-Pauulu and Macy White are making their amateur debuts. Also, Foley's will host an amateur card on April 15.


No comments:

Post a Comment