Monday, October 15, 2018

O'Connell advances in PFL, Aguirre wins boxing match, SteelFist results


We haven't mentioned Utah's Sean O'Connell as much as we have Steven Siler this year in the MMA PFL tournament. But he merits mention now after a remarkable Saturday night in Long Beach, Calif., in which the 205-pounder scored upsets in the quarterfinals and semifinals to advance to his weight division tournament final. Like Siler, a featherweight,O'Connell will fight December 31 for a million-dollar purse, that goes to the winner. Both O'Connell and Siler merit media attention from Utah's daily newspapers and television news stations for these accomplishments. If they don't get it it will speak ill of our state's news sources.

Also Saturday, in a preliminary, non-tournament bout, Utah-based fighter Ramsey Nijem scored a pro win in Long Beach.

STEELFIST -- Results of the SteelFist card on Friday night are in. You can read them at Jeffrey Dutcher's Facebook page Fighting Out of Utah MMA news. In a pro flyweight title bout, Nick Burgos defeated Nicholas Clem, and in another pro bout, Carson Gregory decisioned Kerry Lattimer. In amateur title belts, winners were Hayden Brown, Justin Horsley and Jordan Marshall.



BOXING -- Last Friday in Costa Mesa, Calif., super-welterweight Christian Aguirre, of Salt Lake City, (seen above at left in an earlier fight) scored an upset KO over previously undefeated Joey Alday, Jr., of Odessa Texas. In the fourth round, trailing on points, Aguirre (8-3) flattened Alday Jr., with a left hook. You can see the bout at Facebook here.

I chatted with Christian about the bout. Here is our conversation:

Utah Fight Game: Tell us how the bout came to be and training?

Christian: This bout against Joey Alday was the hardest bout I’ve had in my career. In all my other fights I would try to brawl and turn it into a street fight but I knew I had to really dig inside and change my style into a boxing style. I sparred Jon Bryant, Gary Bailey and worked with Rick Manzanares on my boxing skills. It was an 8 day notice so I had to make it happen.

I thought I was looking all the rounds honestly but I knew my experience of tough fights would kick in, in the later rounds. I was really patient and I told my trainer in one of the rounds that Alday’s power was diminishing. I also told my corners (Jesse Reid and Jason Parillo)  that I was going to set up my left hook and counter Aldays left hook because he was landing it a lot. Alday tried to break me down mentally and physically but my experience helped a lot and in the 4th round he was in the corner and I threw a simple 1,2,3 and he fell face first. It was the hardest fight of my career but I had God on my side that night.

Utah Fight Game: So what are your fight plans for the future?

Christian: My plans for the future are to avenge my losses but first I will be fighting in November. I don’t know with who but I will fight anybody, anywhere, any time. I give my Lord and savior all the glory and I’m thankful for those who have been with me through the good and the bad.

ONE MORE BOXING NOTE: Larry Gomez, undefeated and with a win over Christian on his record, said last week he plans to fight in November. More information coming soon, he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment