Sunday, January 8, 2017

Neal defeats Cowan, Herrera over Akers

We have results for the Jan. 7 SteelFist MMA card in Farmington. They are courtesy of Fighting Out of Utah MMA's Jeffrey "Dutch" Dutcher. In the main event, Ogden's Jon Neal remained undefeated stopping Payson's Tanner Cowan in round two via strikes to win the SteelFist 145-pound title. With the win he now has two titles, having previously won the SteelFist 155-pound belt. Cowan is a highly regarded veteran and it's a win that will likely move Neal into a higher-echelon bout.

In fact, Aldo Oreggia, of One Hit MMA, says Jon will probably move into a Legacy Fighting Alliance card soon. Aldo was told that Neal was at the top of the list for 145 pounders at LFA. Oreggia also said Neal will avoid the periods of inactivity that he's had the past few years, and plans to fight regularly as he works to move up the ladder.

Herrera victorious

In the co-main event, Kyle Herrera scored a nice win, defeating tough Rowdy Akers via a heel hook in round one. In the 160-pound pro bout Herrera floored Akers with a left hook. The game Akers fought off the knockdown but was later caught in the hook, forcing a tap.

In an 125-pound amateur rematch, Steve Chan won a unanimous three-round decision over Brandon Rease. Chan had stopped Rease a couple of years ago. In two pro bouts, Justin Van Horn stopped Ed Moroney in two, 205 pounds, and Carson Gregory stopped Josh Bateman in round one, 170 pounds.

In more amateur bouts, Kaden Weston stopped Brian Gates in round one, 145, Luke Smith stopped Elias Landau in round one, 185, Brandon Know stopped Daryl Sullivan in round 2, 135, Cory Rose defeated Ian Kahng in round two, 155, and Gavin Weston stopped Nick Lund in the second round, 145.

In what Dutcher described as a "great fight," 175-pound amateur Joshua Ferrera defeated Kelleck Diamond via unanimous three-round decision. "Both guys came out swinging. Both showed great heart and some rock-solid chins," Dutcher said.

No comments:

Post a Comment