Thursday, January 12, 2017

Court McGee fights Sunday on televised UFC card



The big news in the Utah fight game is that UFC veteran Court McGee, 170 pounds, a former Davis County prep wrestler, fights on a nationally televised UFC MMA card on Sunday, Jan. 15. McGee, a several-year vet of the UFC has a very very competitive match against Ben Saunders. (Photo above courtesy of UFC)

The card starts on Fox Sports One (Xfinity 265) at 6 p.m. with prelims. The main card, with McGee, starts at 8 p.m. BJ Penn fights Yair Rodriguez in the main bout.

In his last fight, McGee rebounded from a stoppage loss with a points win over Dominique Steele.

The next big MMA card is Jan. 21 in Salt Lake City at the Fairgrounds. Headlining is Samson Phommabout, an 145-pounder, 4-1, who is one of Utah's top pro prospects. Hopefully, we'll have more about this card next week in the blog.

A CHAT WITH JOSE HARO

In Utah boxing news, I chatted with 126 pound pro Jose Haro, who is on the mend after foot surgery. He hopes to fight soon. I asked Jose how training goes as he rehabs

Haro: "Rehab is going well. I'm actually training ... and running for the first time since my injury. ... For 2017, I would like to get a tune up fight and fight for titles after that. I would like to fight the best."

So what are the running distances I asked, and will the fights be out of Utah?

Haro: "I'll start on mile for one week and then after that I'll start doing three miles. ... Most likely I will travel." (Photo of Haro below by Justin Hughes)




BY THE WAY ... You can find a schedule of future Utah fight cards at the Pete Suazo Utah Athletic Commision website here.

Finally, we end with a photo of Larry Gomez' win over Donald Griffin last month in SLC. We plan on interviewing Gomez, 6-0 and a fine prospect, in the near future. (Photo courtesy of Gomez).








No comments:

Post a Comment