Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Collard versus Gregory highlights SteelFist MMA card


There's a lot going on locally in MMA and other combat sports ... Thomas Hughes plans to fight soon, as does Rowdy Akers, as well as Jarrett Kelton. And in a submission-only card in Davis County, John Valentine will compete. In boxing, Jose Haro's next televised fight is pushed back a week to May 19. But today we'll focus on the Friday the 13th MMA card in SLC from SteelFist. There's a terrific main event, a promotional welterweight pro title bout between former UFC competitor "Cassius" Clay Collard, and undefeated Carson "The Perfect Storm" Gregory. It's scheduled five rounds.

Over the course of a year in 2014 and 2015, Collard fought four UFC bouts and acquitted himself well, winning one, losing two via decision and being stopped in round three by Max Hollaway. He took two years off before returning to action on a SteelFist card, stopping a tough fighter, Troy Dennison.

Gregory, 5-0, has been very impressive. He last win was over an excellent pro, Mike Jones, which he ended in round two. He's improved a lot since I first saw him outslug and eventually submit Kade Lindstrom in SLC a year ago. Gregory had only one loss as an amateur, a majority decision several years ago against Thomas Hughes.

On paper Collard would be the favorite; a lot depends on how good Gregory is at this stage in his career. If he beats Collard, he likely rapidly moves into a higher echelon of competition. Even if he were to be defeated, he would still be considered an excellent prospect. Collard, obviously, moves farther away from the UFC orbit if Gregory wins.

I chatted with Carson Gregory, asking him for comments on training and preparation for the bout, and what it's like to step into the cage with a veteran such as Collard. He was kind enough to provide these thoughts:

GREGORYClay it's just like any other opponent! I respect everyone the same in the ring because everyone has a fighting chance! Therefore, I treat every fight as if it's a championship for the world. I'm constantly upping my training no matter who is in my way. I believe the true enemy is within ourselves. When we beat the enemy within, then we are ready to face any challenges that lie ahead of us.

I think the biggest challenge has been trying to stay true to my morals. There have been a lot of things said over social media that definitely pushed my buttons during this camp, but I had to remind myself that I am not the judge. I am merely a man and have made mistakes and said things that I regret in the past, so why would it be any different with any other man? I feel the calm before the storm, I'm ready for this fight. Friday night is my night! Friday night The Perfect Storm will arrive and destroy anything in its path!

Here are some of the other scheduled bouts on the SteelFist card that I find intriguing. I wish all the fighters the best. The entire card is here.

-- Bryce Edminister versus Karl Grace, 135 pounds: Edminister is returning to SteelFist as a professional. He had success here as an amateur. He trains out of KOA in Davis County, scheduled three rounds.

-- Lehi Dominguez will attempt to defend his 170-pound SteelFist amateur belt against Ului Papanue, scheduled five rounds.

-- Two undefeateds meet with Bryce Scanlon trying to wrest away Ranu Meah's amateur promotional heavyweight title belt, scheduled five rounds.

-- Two amateur middleweights, Ogden's Eric Munoz, and Cole Shafer, meet in a scheduled three rounder.

Card is at Union Event Center in Salt Lake City. Doors open at 6 p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment