Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Two combat sports veterans fight to raise funds to remember Harvest Festival victims and survivors

 


On October 2, 2026, at the Union Event Center in Salt Lake City (235 N. 500 West 84116), SteelFist Fight Night will provide another combat sports card. SteelFist has been doing this for a long time and it’s always a great card. 


On the fight roster will be a submission-only bout between two older fighters who have fought on SteelFist cards in the past. John Valentine, of Las Vegas, and Sooksan Simpleman, of Sunset, Utah. Valentine, 55, last fought MMA in 2017 for SteelFist, a memorable war with ex-pro Rowdy Akers. Simpleman, 58, a fixture on Northern Utah cards, last fought MMA in 2015.


But there’s a special meaning for this submission-only bout. On Oct. 2, John Valentine will step into the cage for a fight with a purpose far bigger than winning. And he has a message for fight fans.



John and his wife, Christina, have spent years fighting for causes that matter. Together, they have supported veterans, families and communities in need, including raising more than $50,000 for veterans through John’s fights and fundraising efforts.


But this fight is personal.



Christina was at the Route 91 Harvest Festival on October 1, 2017. She was shot that night – and survived. Since then, she has dedicated herself to honoring the 58 people who lost their lives, supporting survivors and families, and making sure the world never forgets what happened.


Now, John is fighting alongside her.


On October 2, he will compete at SteelFist Fight Night 116 in Salt Lake City to raise funds for the Forever One Memorial in Las Vegas.


Help Build Forever One


The Forever One Memorial will honor the 58 lives lost on October 1, 2017, recognize the survivors and families whose lives were forever changed, and acknowledge the first responders who ran toward the chaos that night.


The permanent memorial will feature a Tower of Light, 58 vertical candles representing each victim, and a community plaza – creating a place to remember, reflect and heal.


Your donation helps make that memorial a reality.


One hundred percent of donations made through the link go directly to the Forever One Memorial. And you don't have to be in Salt Lake City to be part of this fight.


Donate. Share this campaign. Tell someone about the memorial.


Every action helps.


If you plan to attend SteelFist Fight Night 116, a portion of ticket sales will also benefit the Forever One Memorial. When purchasing tickets at SteelFistFight.com, be sure to enter “JOHN VALENTINE” in the notes at checkout so the designated portion of your ticket purchase is directed to the memorial.


This fight is for the 58 who never made it home.


For their families.


For the survivors.


For the first responders.


For the thousands who were there that night – and the millions who have carried its impact with them.


And for a promise that we will never forget.


To help John Valentine make this fight count, here is our Utah Fight Game interview with him.:


UFG: Tell us about the charity.


Valentine: Forever One Memorial is about remembering the lives lost and the hundreds of people who were injured during the Route 91 Harvest Festival tragedy, while making sure their stories and their families are never forgotten. For me, this is deeply personal. My wife, Christina, was there that night, a shooting victim so this isn’t just a cause I decided to attach my name to. It’s part of our lives.  She’s one of the most powerful and positive people I know.  She has made the cover of every magazine in her sport and always carries her purpose with her.  Her and our amazing children are what we both fight for as well.  


The memorial represents a $7 million remembrance that provides a healing monument and brings people together. If stepping into a cage at my age can help bring attention, awareness and resources to something that means so much to so many people, then that fight has a purpose far beyond winning or losing.


UFG: Tell us about how you came to organize the bout to benefit the charity?


Valentine: I’ve spent more than two decades in combat sports, and it has given me a lot: discipline, friendships, lessons, and some incredible experiences. At this point in my life, I wanted to use it for something bigger than myself.  


When the opportunity came together with SteelFist, I knew I wanted the fight to have a purpose. Our submission-only fight is the first in SteelFist history so I hope we open the door for generations to come.  I’m not fighting because I need to prove that I’m the toughest guy in the room. I’m fighting because I believe we can take something as difficult as a fight and turn it into something positive.


October 2 happens to be an especially meaningful date because the Forever One Memorial groundbreaking is also taking place. So, the timing felt almost symbolic. October 1 was the night of the tragedy.  One fight, one night, and hopefully a lot of people coming together to remember, support and give back.


UFG: How can people buying tickets make sure a portion goes to the charity?


Valentine: Show up if you’re going. … As mentioned, the easiest way is to purchase tickets through SteelFistFight.com and put JOHN VALENTINE in the notes section when checking out. That allows the ticket purchase to be connected to my fight and the charitable effort.  SteelFist Pat, Kevin and the family make a difference, so support them! 


Donate: People don’t have to attend the fight to make a difference. They can also donate directly to the Forever One Memorial. The most important thing is simply to get involved in whatever way you can. Buy a ticket, make a donation, share the story, or encourage someone else to participate.  See the link as everything makes a difference.  


UFG: Tell us about your training. How can older males train like this in middle age?


Valentine: I think the biggest misconception is that getting older means you have to stop challenging yourself. It means you have to become smarter about how you challenge yourself.


I’ve been involved in martial arts for 24 years, and I’ve learned that training at this stage of life isn’t about trying to be 25 again. Recovery matters. Mobility matters. Strength matters. Nutrition matters. And probably most importantly, your mindset matters.


I’m not trying to prove that I’m young. I’m trying to prove that age doesn’t get to decide when you stop pursuing something that matters to you.


There are plenty of men in their 40s, 50s and beyond who are capable of doing incredible things. You just have to respect the body you have, train intelligently and stay consistent. The goal isn’t to destroy yourself in training – the goal is to be better tomorrow than you were yesterday.


UFG: What’s your opinion on Sooksan Simpleman, your opponent?



Valentine: Sooksan has my respect. He’s a legitimate fighter, he’s highly experienced, and he’s been doing this at a very high level for a long time. I don’t take him lightly for a second.  He’s also a great human who’s also donating his portion to the charity.


But once that cage door closes, respect goes out the window for those few minutes. We’re going to compete, and I’m going to give him everything I have.


What makes this fight interesting is that we’re both experienced enough to understand what we’re walking into. There’s no pretending this is something it isn’t. He wants to win, and I want to win but we both want to make a difference.  


But at the end of the night, I hope we can shake hands, look each other in the eye and know that we gave everything we had for something bigger than ourselves.


That’s really what this fight represents to me: two competitors willing to put themselves through something difficult in order to create something positive for other people.


UFG: Sum up your feelings in a paragraph, John.


Valentine: I’m not fighting to prove that I’m young. I’m fighting to prove that you’re never too old to fight for something that matters and this fight is about something much bigger than me.


Editor’s note: This will be a great night on October 2 in Salt Lake City. Come to the fights, enjoy the usual great matchups, and make sure you donate to this admirable effort to remember those, and their families and friends, who suffered on that horrible night in Las Vegas. 


I’ve seen many fights that John and Sooksan participated in and it will be a pleasure to watch both compete. They both have accomplished a lot in their lives in combat sports. John, for example, is a multi-champion in Jiu-Jitsu, including a world championship.


-- Utah Fight Game


No comments:

Post a Comment