Thursday, April 26, 2018

Interview with jiu-jitsu pro John Valentine, fight update



Before we start our interview with jiu-jitsu professional John Valentine I(above), competing in Farmington on May 5 in the Proving Grounds Invitational, here’s a little fight news in Utah:

Last weekend in Denver Colorado at Sparta Combat League 68, some fighters with local ties competed. Kaecy Raddon, a highly ranked amateur at 155, lost a close decision to another top amateur, Johnson Nasona. In a kickboxing match, Jarrett Kelton lost a close nod to Brandon Taylor, and 185-pounder Hayden Brown was stopped by Anthony Cordova. A stablemate of the trio, Alie Kane, lost to Mdegan Winick in a 115-pound MMA bout. All are amateurs. Your reporter had Kelton, Raddon, and Kane winning narrow decisions on his card. (All results are here.)

Saturday, in Casper, Wyo, Rowdy Akers, MMA pro out of One Hit MMA, meets Houssam El Kasri  in a bout (card is here.) And the same night in Idaho Falls, Idaho, in pro MMA bouts, Kerry Lattimer meets Gabe Pelayo, and Fabio Serrao fights Andrew Cruz (card is here). The three bouts are all at 145 pounds.
Finally, Imperial Boxing has made it official: a pro boxing card May 26 at the Davis Conference. Main bout is 160 pounds pro state title Larry Gomez versus Christian Aguirre, both undefeated.

Now, our interview with John Valentine, who meets Chris Wells in an intriguing co-main bout at PGI: John, now out of Las Vegas, has a long tenure locally with MMA, including coaching a women's MMA team at Hidden Valley Gym, matchmaking with SteelFist, and managing MMA women fighters.

Tell us about the fight in May?

Valentine: The fight in May is going to be an exciting one. It is with the invitation-only and submission-only tournament Proving Grounds invitational (PGI), hosted by Dave Casteo and Carl Sims. I am one of the featured super fights and the co-main event for the tournament. I will be taking on one of the most decorated black belts in Utah, Chris Wells, who is a third-degree black belt under Pedro Sauer. In addition to my fight there will be three, eight-man brackets where people are fighting for prize money. In my fight specifically it is a winner take all. For me this will definitely be one of my toughest challenges that I have faced; but also one of the most exciting for me as I get an opportunity to once again give back to some special causes.

How is training going?

Valentine: My training, diet, spiritual, mental and physical preparation are all on point. I built a team for this fight compiled of some of the most talented and decorated world champions in the sport. Training under arguably one of the top five practitioners in the world, Team Robert Drysdale, I was able to pull and partner with a great group of coaches, including, world champions Antonio Lopez, Bendy Casimir and my long-time friend and former MMA coach, Utah Black Belt Brandon Guzzo.



Tell us about the charitable effort to raise money?

Valentine: The response to the charity and causes has been phenomenal. It’s been overwhelming, we’re reaching out to people who don’t even live nearby. The causes all center around suicide awareness. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and something that has plagued many folks in our own life, but it’s taken the lives of many folks in the Utah area as well recently. My main focus charity wise is “Kimonos for Kai,” which was created by James Wright, a close friend of mine in the memory of his son who passed Kai Wright. The message of the organization encourages parents and others to talk to your children about their feelings. Too often children take their own lives because they feel they have no one to talk to or turn to. The organization gives talks and provides support and tools to encourage dialogue between parents, coaches and our youth. James’s message really centers around the idea that you were not replaceable and that you can always talk to someone if you cannot talk to a parent and find a friend. If you can’t talk to a friend, find a coach. But the point is always be sure to talk to someone; there’s always someone here to help you. The second way I have shown support through my previous MMA fights and this event is to get sponsorships. This allows people who want to support others to attend these events who otherwise would not have the financial means to do so. I have already purchased blocks of tickets that will be distributed through the tournament organizers for Proving Grounds Invitational and they are working to distribute those to those in need. It’s important for folks to get out and see these events as they start to chart and plan their own future goals in jiu-jitsu or whatever sport they choose. Anyone interested in supporting can contact me directly. I’m excited at the opportunity to not only compete but compete with purpose in a class

Also, what are some long-term goals in your fight career?

Valentine: As I made the transition in November from the cage as an MMA fighter I still stay centered and focused on the concepts as a transition into jiu-jitsu. Meaning, I still love to compete and still able to do so at an age when many people were throwing in the towel. I want to believe that with training and focus I could be doing this for years to come. Coming off the world championships last year, a lot has changed. I was promoted to black belt after 17 years of training, which was one of the most exciting, and humbling experiences of my life. I feel like my journey now has just started. My main goal this year is to win a second world title, but in the black belt division. The medals and the titles don’t matter as much as my primary goal, which is just to be the best practitioner I can be. The medals in tournaments are just one way to measure that. So is learning, growing and developing as not just a practitioner, but becoming a better teammate. And representing the sport and my gym is also key. I plan to stay active this year and I have some exciting news that I’ll be announcing shortly about a submission-only super fight in the cage in Las Vegas where I will be the featured co-main event. All the proceeds will go back to our troops. Stay tuned!

Is there anyone else you'd like to thank John as you work up to your superfight?

Valentine: Yes, in addition to all the fans and supporters and my gym, I'd like to thank my sponsors, who have done such an amazing job of financing this journey and the charitable causes: Buckedup pre-workout, Breakpoint fight company, RK Fleming Photography and finally Carl Sims and David Casteo of Proving Grounds Invitational for putting on such an amazing event, giving back to the community and for giving me the honor to compete.

In a further conversation with me, Valentine, 47, said the bout with Wells is scheduled for nine minutes. There will be overtime competition, if needed, in which “they start you over, and you both take turns in one position,” he said. The competitor who does better in the OT will be the winner. The fight is at 155 pounds. “I started my weight cut a week ago,” John said. His only prediction? “I’m going to grow. That’s all I care about – to become a better martial artist.”

He also talks with pride about his sons, all active in sports, three of whom are active in jiu-jitsu. Citing their ability to motivate him, he said, “they are probably my best training partners.”

No comments:

Post a Comment